Thursday, November 05, 2009

Black Canary Fan Film Project - Blog 006: First effects test

First fx test went well.
:)

Also, although the outline is done and the idea is set for the film... I realize that one common mistake that I see in a lot of comic book films is that often it doesn't try to use anything from the comics- which is ok - (and sometimes necessary budgetwise)- but if you're going to go through the effort, why not try to study the best stories and work out there on the character?

The Black Canary I was familiar with (in the original JLA) has been re-invented and re-jiggered a few times. Despite trying to keep down a low-budget (that keeps growing through odds and ends- *sigh*), I went out and picked up the "Birds of Prey: Of Like Mind' TPB by Gail Simone (who wrote the EXCELLENT recent Wonder Woman animated film) and Ed Benes (Whose work here I actually like much better than his JLA stuff).



Originally, I HATED the "Birds of Prey" television show that shot itself in the foot by having a nice cast, great look, great concept--- and horrible horrible horrible writing.

The comic book, however... now, I don't know about the earlier issues, but the Gail Simone/Ed Benes stuff is just wonderful. Much like the WW Animated film (both that and the Justice League Unlimited episodes she wrote), there's a sense of fun and humor that goes through the book- but a great story and 'kickarsery' (is that a word? Probably not, but so what?) moments that make you stick to it. Reminded me of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' the tv show in many ways.

Anyhow--- after flying through the trade paperback (always a good sign that I dug it), I didn't find anything specifically that I could 'ape' from Gail Simone for the project- but.... I'm more than tempted to pickup the others by Simone, for reading enjoyment- and-like I said, it'd be silly NOT to crib SOMETHING if there's a great body of work on the characters already sitting there. And like I said, great read.

No comments: