Monday, October 19, 2009

Black Canary Fan Film Project - Blog 002: I'll tell you why



"Why Black Canary?" (and...why a fan film after "Vangelis"?)

A student filmmaker once asked me, "What's the point of doing a fan film?"

"I mean," he continued, "It's not like a real film. Don't you have any original ideas?"

As per usual, when someone makes a pretty rude statement to me, I either respond by tossing them across the room in slow-motion or I get extremely flustered and shut the hell up, to give the person the benefit of the doubt that maybe they didn't mean the offense and shouldn't answer until I'm sure if the rudeness came out of intent or ignorance. I've rarely tossed anyone across the room in slow-motion, so usually it's the second response.

If I was smarter and less flustered, I think I would answer:
"Because what I see in my head is worth aiming for, even if turns out not to be real when I get there."

Pretty delusional, eh?
But then again, it could be argued that the world is split up into four types of people:
#1: Those who always try and succeed in hitting their targets.
#2: Those who always try, but don't always succeed.
#3: Those who never try (but love to tear others down who do)
#4: Those who give up and die.

Of course everyone wishes they were in the first category, but more often than not, I think it's fair to say most of us fall into the second category.

Why do a fan film? Why try if you don't have the resources to be the next "Batman Begins"?

Because I (a) want to see a great Black Canary film, and think it's possible.
And (b) I don't want to ever be in Category #3 or Category #4.

That's why.

No comments: